Friday, August 15, 2014

Mother – A 10 times repeater…

Few days back, my childhood friend called. As usual we had a long chat sharing our day to day life, talking about happiness, problems and of course husband. Being family friends, we not only know each other but know in and out of each other’s family.  That is the reason we can share anything and everything together.
My friend was complaining about her mother repeating each and every thing 10-20 times. She was complaining saying, “Mom calls in office time and then goes on and on with her problems and repeat everything she say at least 10-20 times.” Even I started wondering about the same thing. Even my mother got the habit of repeating the same thing over and over again. I wonder why all mothers think that they have to repeat everything they say for minimum 5-10 times and that we don’t get it right at the first shot. I am sure it’s the same case with you too. I know it get on to our nerves and its hell irritating and frustrating, especially when we are in some different mood, in some different situations.
Luckily, when my friend called I was at my sister’s place. Probably so, I was able to think on some different lines. I am seen my sister’s life very closely. My sister’s life revolves around her 4yrs old daughter Ahana. Her morning starts with a sweet talk with Ahana while waking her up. Once up, the instruction list starts and then it goes on and on throughout the day.  
Go to toilet
Wash your hands and face
Brush your teeth etc.
And this is a daily scenario. If she miss on something, Ahana surely gonna miss on doing it. So she has to repeat the list every day. Few instructions she has to repeat 10 times a day. Like drink water, don’t sleep and watch Tv, don’t sleep and read etc. With time instruction and its pattern might change. But they will be repeated over and over again till Ahana develops a habit of doing it. At 4, Ahana has already showing the sign of frustration, especially when Tai as her to go to toilet. “Don’t talk about going to toilet, I don’t like it” is Ahana’s cry. And then Tai goes on explaining or sometimes scolding her saying, “Then don’t complain about stomach pain”. It’s a daily scenario these days.
Once in my reading, I read that to develop any habit in ourselves we should follow 45 days pattern. If we tend to do anything for 45 days, we soon develop a habit of it. So now imagine our mothers have being repeating the instructions for so many years. Rather they had to for our own good. So they have developed a habit of repeating everything.  
Today what we are is because of our mother and because of her instructions. We have developed so many good habits because of her, so can’t we just ignore her habit of repeating the same thing over and over again. And probably it’s we who have developed this habit in our mother. So we should not be complaining about it. When I shared my thoughts with my friend we both had a great laugh.
As it is said, “By the time a women realizes her mother was right, she has a daughter who thinks she’s wrong”

-Love you Mom. This is for you on your 64th Birthday
15 August 2014

5 comments:

Chintamani Limaye said...

Very true

Ruta Kulkarni said...

Masta Lihila ahes!

Anagha Joshi said...

Nice!

Manasi Bapat said...

Masta

Mrunalini said...

Welcome back to blogging. Would love to see you more often here!